Christmas Present Ideas
We know that choosing a Christmas gift can be tricky regardless of the budget – whether you’re looking to add something to your list to Santa or for an idea for the boater in your life, therefore we hope the list below may provide some ideas. If you’d like advice, please contact us. We love talking boats and are happy to offer friendly advice and suggestions based on the budget available with no obligation. We can cater for everyone from beginners to Yachtmaster and whilst we primarily train adults, youngsters are of course to be encouraged too!
If you’ve thought of an idea but can’t see it on our website, just give us a call. We’re also happy to talk in an evening so if that is a more convenient time to chat just let us know. The majority of our courses are taught by one of the partners in the business so we are flexible over dates and times. If you see a course of interest but not a matching date in the calendar, just let us know and we’ll try to accommodate the dates of your choice.
We can provide gift vouchers for set amounts or specific courses. W can send out course books in advance so you have something tangible to present with the voucher. Contact us to chat through options we can organise click and collect or delivery.
Charts and Navigation:
We have a variety of local charts and plotters in stock. Give us a call for a chat about which set you’d like and we can organise click and collect or delivery. Portland Plotters and Dividers, Poole Harbour Charts – laminated or fold out.
Beginners Practical Boating Courses:
- Taster Powerboat (RIB) Driving Session: View the harbour & drive the boat under the supervision of an instructor. 2.5 hr Taster Session – Information (2.5hr Taster)
- RYA Powerboat Level 1 Course: A relaxed introduction to driving a boat on the water and upon successful completion a RYA Certificate will be awarded. Information – L1
- RYA Powerboat Level 2 Course: Our most popular powerboat course run over 2 days and leading to a formal qualification for driving and hiring boats. Information – L2
More Experienced or Boat Owners:
- VHF Radio Course (SRC): A legal requirement for those operating a radio on board a boat, this course can be taken online or in the classroom. Information – VHF
- Bespoke Training: We’re able to hop on board your boat (up to 50ft) or come and see us on ours and practice particular skills. Whether the client wishes to focus on ‘parking’ the boat or undertaking a longer passage with an experienced Instructor on board we can provide a bespoke option. Further Information
- Navigation Courses: Whether you’re looking to get someone started or develop skills we have a range of course options from Essential Navigation through to Day Skipper and Yachtmaster Theory Further Information
VHF, Essential Navigation, CEVNI test, Safe & Fun, PPR, Day Skipper & Yachtmaster. Online Courses
The RYA is the National Governing Body for boating. They say…”Join and we can help you get more out of the boating you do. Because we’re for people like you who love being on the water…” Your gift recipient will benefit from advice & discounts on boating equipment. RYA Benefits and Joining Information
Breakdown cover for boats on the South Coast. Phone 0800 885500
Below is a selection of books we thought you might find of interest. We do keep some of these books in stock if you would prefer to collect from us.
Please note that the links below will take you through to the Amazon site which is external. Please ensure any copies are the latest version and if you choose to buy your contract is with Amazon although as an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases using the links below. If you require assistance with checking copies or advice please do not hesitate to call.
Books for youngsters
-The RYA have published a range of accessible books by Claudia Myatt for youngsters which have brilliant illustrations (and many adults love the too!). Its a great way to get youngsters involved on board and starting to understand the principals and roles on board. It seems that only the Go Sailing book is now available new on Amazon but we have the Go Cruising book in stock ourselves so please drop us a message
Practical Powerboat & Motor Cruising Books:
Start Powerboating Book is included with our Powerboat L2 Course and is a great refresher for those that might have lost their copy.
Powerboat & Advanced Handbooks discuss the topics in greater detail and are great preparation for Intermediate and Advanced Courses.
The Dayskipper Handbooks are perfect for those looking to undertake Motor Cruising or Yacht Sailing at Day Skipper Level.
These are great for those looking to go further afield and need to learn more about planning.
Whether you are getting started with navigation or you want to continue with practice after a Theory Course there is a book for you.
These books are not mandatory preparation for courses but may provide great supplementary information if you are starting to explore these topics.